Monday, September 04, 2006

Welcome!

I'm not an expert on comment spam. I just really hate it. There's one type that really annoys the heck out of me, though, that's advertising for "wowgold." It's so dang annoying because nobody is safe from it. Not celebrities. Not even guestbooks on 9/11 memorial sites. (Second link goes to a screen cap of the site I took that's hosted on a free image host because I'm running this blog independent of any of my other sites. The spammed site seems to have a lot of spam, so maybe it'll be buried by other stuff at some point. )

The thing that's so strange about this type of spam is that, to the best of my knowledge, it doesn't appear in e-mails. I've done some investigating on it mainly thanks to Google and am taking such measures as reporting sites with AdSense ads to them as well as informing third party companies who offer services that the spammers utilize.

I don't think I'll make a real impact on this type of spam. I'm nor launching any sort of attacks. My main intent is to report some of my findings and I'm using a blog as it's a fairly simple organization system.

I don't know how long I'll keep this project going. I'm not on some sort of super crusade against this stuff. I'm mainly just curious about where it comes from and maybe some of you are, too.

Additionally, I'm not asking for examples of this spam from users. I'm not going to branch out to other types, either, since this is just some loony project I'm doing. I do report other types of spam I find in addition to this type, I'm just not going to talk much about it.

So...enjoy. I guess.